Cabin Point Plantation
A quick history.
William Westwood Armistead, born in Warick County, Virginia in 1803, later moved to Louisiana and purchased land along Flat Bayou in what at that time, was DeSoto Parish. In 1849 he purchased land on both sides of the Red River. These lands were part of a Spanish land grant of John C. Perrault. This property was to be the beginning of a cotton plantation that would come to be known as Cabin Point Plantation.
He build a large log cabin near Flat Bayou which was a navigable tributary of the Red River. This cabin was of typical dogtrot style, made of hand hewn square logs. Due to frequent flooding, this original cabin was moved once and then again to its present location.
The name “Cabin Point” evolved from the location of the cabin in the bend of the river. It was used as a landmark by stern-wheeler captains that plied the Red River. Cabin Point Plantation was an important port-of-call for the area before the town of Coushatta existed.
Subsequent generations added a second story and remodeled the house which today still contains within its walls the hand-hewn logs of the original dogtrot cabin.
The Lester families, descendants of William Westwood Armistead, live and work this plantation continuing to produce cotton and a large variety of fruit and vegetable crops for the local fresh market.