Cabin Point Recipes
Here are a few of our most requested recipes featuring our great, fresh produce!
Peach Yum Yum Cake
- 1 Yellow Cake Mix
- 1 Package Peach Jello (small)
- 1 Cup Crisco Oil
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Cup Ed Lester Farms Peaches, mashed
Mix all ingredients well for several minutes. Blend in Peaches with a spatula and bake in a 13″ x 9″ sheet cake pan for 40-45 minutes a 375 degrees. Baking time may vary. Serve warm with ice cream or just by itself. Very simple and quick!
Peach Buttermilk Sherbet
- 2 Cups Ed Lester Farms Peaches
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1-1/2 T Lemon Juice
- 3/4 tsp Grated Lemon Rind
- 1-1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 2 Cups Buttermilk
Using a blender, puree peaches with all ingredients except the Buttermilk. Then stir in the Buttermilk and freeze until firm. Delicious!
- Large Fresh Ed Lester Farms Peaches
- 1/2 Cup Brandy
- 1/2 Cup Creme de Cacao
- 1 Quart vanilla Ice Cream
Place sliced peaches into a blender along with ingredients. Blend well. Pour into champagne glass to serve. Smoooth!
Crispy Onion Rings
- 2/3 Cup Flour
- 1/3 Cup Cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 Cup ice water
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- Vegetable Oil for frying
- 2 Large Armstead Sweet Yellow Onions, sliced to 1/4″, separated
Mix flour, cornstarch, salt and ice water to form a smooth batter. Cover and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Heat oil to 375 degrees. Add baking soda to batter, stir in. Drop onion rings into batter, shake off excess. Fry until golden brown, drain on paper towel and store in warm oven until all are done. Salt to taste.
- 1 15-1/2 oz Spaghetti Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Italian herb seasoning
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1-1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 Large Ed Lester Farms Eggplant (or 3 Chinese variety)
- 1/2 lb mozzarella cheese, grated
Add herb seasoning, garlic powder, sugar to spaghetti sauce and mix well. Peal and cut Eggplant into 1/4″ slices. Put half the slices into a 2 quart flat baking dish. Spoon in half the sauce, add half the cheese. Repeat, ending with cheese on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until eggplant is tender and the cheese is golden brown. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Best Green Beans
- 1 Ham bone or hock
- 1 Quart water
- 1 Ed Lester Farms Armistead Sweet Onion
- 1 small Ed Lester Farms Hot Pepper
- 2 lbs Ed Lester Farms Green Snap Beans (Roma are best)
- 1 T Sugar
In a large pot, add the meat, water, chopped onion and pepper. Bring to boil, then simmer for 1-2 hours to reduce broth to about 2 Cups. Strain broth and refrigerate. (You can freeze broth also.) To cook, combine Beans, Broth and Sugar. Bring to simmer and cook covered for 45-60 minutes or until beans are just tender. Add salt to taste and cook uncovered about 10 minutes until broth is about gone. (Careful not to burn). Delicious, reheats well for leftovers!
- 2 Cups thinly sliced Ed Lester Farms Armistead Sweet Onions
- Vegetable cooking spray (Pam)
- 1/4 cup Chili Sauce (Hines)
- 2 T Grape Jelly (yes grape jelly!)
Using a large sprayed skillet, cook onions covered over medium heat about 10 minutes until limp. Stir while cooking. Add Chili Sauce and Grape Jelly. cover and cook 5 more minutes until onions are tender. Add to your burgers while still hot.
- Our version of love!
- 1-1/2 lbs washed Ed Lester Farms Peas, cream or purple hull.
- 1/4 lb salt pork, cut slits to the rind, washed and dried.
- 1 T bacon grease (don’t tell your doctor!)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Ed Lester Farms Armistead Sweet Onion, chopped
- 1 small (to taste) Ed Lester Farms Hot Pepper
- Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Qts water
Boil meat in water, covered until tender. Cook until you have about 1 cup of water left. Add another cup of water and the peas, bacon grease, sugar, onion and pepper. Bring to boil, then cover and cook at medium heat for about 30 minutes at which time add salt and pepper. Cook until peas are tender. Do not overcook. Option: add a beef bouillon cube with the water and reduce the additional salt at the end of cooking. Serve over rice, with cornbread. “Make you slap yo Mama!”
Fried Green Tomatoes
- 3 Large, Firm Ed Lester Farms Green Tomatoes
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 1/2 Cup Cornmeal
- 1/4 Cup Flour
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- Vegetable Oil for frying
Slice tomatoes to 1/2″. Spread slices on plate and sprinkle sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Mix Eggs, Cornmeal, Flour and Milk until well blended. Dip tomato slices into batter. Fry in 1/2″, hot vegetable oil, 1-2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towel and serve immediately. Idgie loves ’em!
Yellow Squash Casserole
- 3 lbs Ed Lester Farms Yellow Squash
- 1 small Ed Lester Farms Armistead Sweet Onion
- 1/2 can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 carton sour cream
- 1/2 roll jalapeno cheese
Chop onions and cook with salt and pepper until just tender, drain. Heat all other ingredients in a pot and then stir in the squash. Grease a casserole dish, add breadcrumbs to bottom, then squash mixture and top with more breadcrumbs. Bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees.
- 1-1/2 lbs Ed Lester Farms Okra
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 cup salt
- Vegetable Oil
Wash okra and drain well. Cut off tip and stem end and cut into 1/2″ slices. Combine water and salt, pour over okra and let soak for 30 minutes. Drain and rinse well, dry. Now roll okra in cornmeal and fry in hot oil until golden brown. Makes about 6 servings.
Two more of our new favorites:
Lisa's Yellow Squash Casserole
- 2 c. Ed Lester Farms squash, cooked
- 1 c. mayonnaise
- 8 oz. extra sharp cheese, grated
- 10 green onions
- 2-4 T. butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 c. cracker crumbs
Boil squash, drain and measure. Mix mayonnaise, eggs and cheese. Add squash. Saute’ green onions in butter, and add to mixture. Add salt and pepper and mix well. Pour into baking dishand top with cracker crumbs. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.
Luscious Peach Pie
- 1/2 pt. whipping cream
- 1 c. powdered sugar, divided
- 6 oz. cream cheese
- 1 (9 inch) pastry, cooked
- 3 Ed Lester Farms peaches, sliced
- 1. c sugar
- 2 T. cornstarch
- 1 c. mashed peaches
- 1 c. water
Whip cream with 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Beat cream cheese with remaining sugar. Mix these together and spread in a cool pie crust. Refrigerate for 2 hours. Make glaze by mixing sugar and cornstarch. Add water and peaches. Boil mixture until clear. Cool completely. Slice peaches and place in pie pastry, then top with glaze.